Sunday, 25 December 2011

Ticket To Cruze !














Its 4:00 pm, Its been a straight 20 hours that I haven't slept. 1st semester came to an end day before yesterday.There is one more sem and a dissertation to go before the MBA in Engineering Management is finito. I ve finished all my course works, heck I am ahead of time but still I can’t get sleep. I want to start working on the 2nd Sem right away, this very moment. Just want to get everything over and done with like click click click. This has got everything to do with what happened in Mumbai during the May to October vacation. 

I told my dad that I will buy ourselves the new Swift that was recently launched. I already have got a job in Mahindra for which I took the interview during vacations. I knew I could pull the new Swift off on my own. Imagine gifting your parents a new car from your own money. EPIC feeling. We booked the new Swift Diesel even though we own a Swift diesel right now. It would take one year arounds for it to get delivered as half of India had booked it, worked for me as I was getting back in August and would have enough time till september october to collect the money.  Dad did not agree on buying one more Swift and just to prove his point he took me to one of the Chevrolet showrooms which was near the Mumbai - Pune expressway. He asked me to wait out and in a minute he came out with a sales man and keys for an Automatic Chevrolet Cruze, white shining, we went for a test drive.













The sales man kept blabbing about the features, Dad told him to shut up as all we cared about was ‘how fast it goes’. On the expressway dad asked me to jam the accelerator down and not let it go till we have maxed the speedometer out. My man had lost it was the thought that ran in my head. As soon the pedal touched the metal, the autobox shifted from 6th to 3rd at 80kmph and it was like a meteorite had stuck the rear of the car. The turbo kick was so ferocious it could break someone's neck if not careful. 140 came even before I caught a breath, as the gears shifted at lightning speed the turbo released a loud psssssssssttttt. It was the most awesome tune I had EVER ever heard. 180 came and went like it was a minor milestone. At 200 the lines on the expressway started going in the opposite direction. I remembered this sight, had seen it once when the Swift had touched 195 on the expressway for a nano second and then went back to her 185 kmph top speed immediately.

The vision started getting narrower and life started to feel a whole lot more beautiful. She was still accelerating and finally maxed out at 233 kmph. At these speeds the other cars on the expressway looked like they were standing still although even they were going upward of 150. The feeling of being unbeatable set it. Those 20 seconds at 233 kmph reruns 100 times in my head everyday and I still don't get bored.

Took a U turn and went back to the showroom. As soon as we got out, Dad smiled ‘Still want the new Swift’ ? My legs and hands were shaking from the adrelinine rush they had been through. Of course I dint want the new Swift anymore, but I could not afford 18 lakhs by next year too. The 185 kmph of the Swift did not seem exciting any more. Rest of the vacation I would let it touch 185 with one hand on the steering and the other hand rested on the window and planted to my head like it was a boring everyday ritual. I graduated from 131kmph of the 800 to the 155 of the Zen and now roll at 185 kmph of the Swift. Life HAD TO HAD move on to higher altitudes. Living only had a meaning if we knew what we were living for and speed and cars is what I was working hard for. I wanted a high paying job just so that I could keep on buying faster cars year over year. The meaning of being alive had finally been found. 

We planned to buy the cruze by 2013 end and that was the time I had to collect those 18 lakhs, it seemed like a huge target to be set when I still had an MBA to go. I needed to see that 233 kmph again and I needed to see it twice a week atleast. A MBA had to be done, engineering alone won’t get me there faster. I need to get this thing soon, My dad wanted me to get married and go on an all India drive in the Cruze with my wife, he wanted Mom to be driven around in this, he wanted to go out with his friends in this. Heck I wanted this more than anything in life. 

Whenever I closed my eyes I could see the scene of the blurred vision and lines of the expressway going backward flashing in front of my eyes. Still gives me sleepless nights when I consciously think about it. The chill down the spine remains for days. There is a point in life when you want to stop racing with those Optra’s and Laura’s on the expressway. You want to grow up and Cannonball some BMW/Mercedes headlight with black diesel soot. This was a perfect tool to cause a holocaust on the highway. With this target set, all that tiredness of Engineering vanished and I was all set to leave Mumbai again and finish the MBA in a little less than a year.  

It seemed like an inspiration to get my butt out of bed in the sub zero temperature and go university, a perfect brainwave to get a distinction in MBA and that’s what kept me going and going through all these months of 1st sem and finally when the results were out all the ‘looking forward’ for the Cruze paid off. I got a Distinction. Got highest grades in 2 subjects in the class too. The thirst for getting the car was helping the scores.

Now 2nd sem, dissertation and some more distinctions will make the Cruze come as near as ever. August 2012 will be the month of coming back to Inda forever. 18 lakhs will just be a number, with the job I've got in India and brilliant grades, I am sure I can make that come and go in no time. Mom, Dad will finally feel their son has grown up. What more can anyone ask for ? This dream remains come hell or highwater. The Cruze is coming home soon. PERIOD 

Before I left my mom asked me, will you like the swift any less after we get the Cruze ? I asked her will I like you any less after I get married and have a wife ? She got the drift and I got the answer to the question which I never really asked myself. The Swift will always be special and the Cruze will just be a new addition to our family whom we’ll end up liking as much as we like the Swift, maybe even racing them together once in a while. The Swift won’t win but I ll be a treat to watch two of the most loved one's in our life ride together.  

Anna and me will end up recording a lot more racing video’s on the expressway, We ll end up doing photoshoots of the car every weekend like we did of the Swift during the 4 month vacation in India. So much to look forward to. Things can’t get more brilliant than this. Everything just seems like a perfect setup for a comeback. By then maybe I ll have someone whom i ll want to call and say 'Hey, Cruze, reclamation, you and me, what say ? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sapne woh nahi joh hume sote hue dikhe, sapne woh hai joh hume raat ko sone na de -  A P J Abdul Kalam

6 comments:

Mona said...

all the best for the cruze dude... am sure u ll get it soon.. and don't forget to take me on a drive once u get it.. :P :P... cheers!!

Sameeha said...

Awesome awesome post!!! Truly inspiring and a winning tale of success!! Cruze on! Cheers! :D

Rohan said...

Mona @ Thanks ..:D Drive with or without the Cruze..!!Can't have the entertainment of you being high on the phone always..can we now.

S Sam @ Thanks :D We are the Swift team for now >:D< <-- Finally I know how to do this :P

Someone said...

Ron's getting Cruze... Ron's getting Cruze... EIEIO..!! :)
Though the last line missed something.... 'Hey, Cruze, reclamation, you and me &...., what say ?" :P

Someone said...

Ron's getting Cruze... Ron's getting Cruze... EIEIO..!! :)
Though the last line missed something.... 'Hey, Cruze, reclamation, you and me &...., what say ?" :P

Sameeha said...

Hey!! Just noticed you've mentioned Rahul as Anna! When did that happen! :O Russell Peters tone: "I thought I was the only one!" :P

And yay welcome back to India!! :D